Thursday 20 November 2014

Charles Fox with Olivia Newton-John and The Other Side of the Mountain, OST 1975 [download available, unfortunately]





When I was a child I had a crush on Olivia Newton-John, the ex-brit Australian with the absolutely angelic voice who became a massive sensation in the seventies, partly thanks to the movie "Grease" and then a lesser karaoke sensation later in the 90s.  I remember well this movie too, because it was so sentimental and the music so ethereally gorgeous, it was hugely popular when I was a kid, due to its tearjerker story of a crippled skier who must rebuild her life, fall in love again of course, and then face the death of her fiance in another accident (sorry for the spoiler there folks).

Anyways with the exception of the title track, which should have been a huge radio hit, the music here is typical symphonic orchestral soundtrack, though still enjoyable for those who have a taste for this seventies fare.  Here's the song I'm referring to:




These albums always puzzled me, even when I was a kid and dug them out of the local library for free, why did people put up with so much orchestral filler when each soundtrack only really had one or two good songs on them?  I guess in those days there was more patience for this kind of material.  Annoyingly, the same song is repeated at beginning and end without any difference.  I guess that's why this record was rescued and bought from the dumpster dustbin slag heap of oblivion.  For a few dollars.

The last line was the best part of the movie:

"How lucky I am to have known someone, something, that saying goodbye is so damned awful."

1 comment:

  1. other side of mountain
    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/g53c7z

    ReplyDelete